This charming island offers you an amazing experience – get closer to the nature and local people that would make you feel like at home. On the Holbox island you can do a lot of activities, which I am sure would surprise you as much as they surprised me. For example if you would go from may to September you would have chance to swim with the whale sharks and enjoy a white sand of the islands beaches that looked almost virgin to me.
Let me tell you that Holbox is only 42 km long, 35 kilometers of which are fully covered with the fine white sand, surrounded with such beautiful emerald water that it would leave you speechless. Island has a lot of nice hotels with the very little impact on nature which makes this place a natural paradise where you can rest and enjoy the beauty of the island.
WHAT TO EAT IN HOLBOX?
If you would go to the center of the island, you will find a lot of great spots where you can enjoy delicious food for different budgets. On the beach you can also find few bars and restaurants. And if you would like to save some money you can always do a shopping at the supermarket and prepare your own picnic to go.
I highly recommend you to try local seafood – you can find a big variety such as seafood empanadas, fish fillets, and even lobster pizza (my favorite)
WHAT TO DO ON THE BEACH?
I prepared a list of fun activities that you can enjoy while staying on the island:
- Simply have a good time laying in a hammock on the beach – it is a perfect way to forget about being stressed!
- You can also practice kayak – kayaking at the sea is calming and fun.
- Watch beautiful sunsets from Punta Coco and enjoy hundreds of magical colors at the sky.
- Watch the stars at night while you lay on the beach.
- Witness the bioilluminicence, you can watch this marvelous phenomenon during all year long, at least at this part of the world.
My most important recommendation is to disconnect from everything, from your everyday-life stress when you come to the island and let yourself flow in a charm of the Holbox. But also do not forget to use a sunblock while you are there, enjoy every moment and remember that Holbox is a gift nature created for us.
Have a good trip!